Carrot Cake with Coconut Milk Frosting (Plant-Based recipe 🌱)
- 2 Bananas (Medium-sized, slightly ripe)
- 2 Flax eggs # (Or 2 eggs for non-vegan)
- 1 Cup Almond buttermilk ##
- 0.25 Cup Maple syrup
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 Carrots (Medium-sized, finely grated)
# Flax eggs: Blend 2 tbsp Whole flaxseeds in 6 tbsp Water, sit for 30 mins.
## Almond buttermilk: Combine 1 Cup Sweetened almond milk and 1 tbsp Lemon juice, stir and sit for 30 mins.
- 1.5 Cups Flour
- 0.75 Cup Ground almonds substitute
- 0.5 Cup Sugar
- 0.5 Cup Walnuts quarters
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon powder
- 0.5 tsp Nutmeg powder
Frosting and Topping:
- 2 cans (800ml) Coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- Pre-heat the oven, 180°C.
- Add the bananas, maple syrup and vanilla extract to a blender and turn the ingredients into a puree.
- Mix the banana puree to the almond buttermilk and flax eggs (or eggs for a non-vegan option).
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients excluding the walnuts and add the spices.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures, mix well until you get a nice thick batter.
- Add the grated carrots and walnut quarters to the batter and mix evenly.
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper, for this recipe a 9"x13.5" baking tray was used. - Pour the batter in the baking tray and bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 180°C.
- Whilst baking, in a saucepan, combine 2 cans (800ml) coconut milk and 2 tbsp sugar. Mix well and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until it reduces by half. Leave the coconut milk frosting aside to cool.
- As soon as the carrot cake is done, cool on a wire rack.
- Once the frosting and the carrot cake reach room temperature, trim the cake's edges and cut the cake in 2 pieces horizontally. Spread half the coconut milk frosting between both layers and the remaining half on top. Top with crushed walnuts.